Wednesday 16 November 2011

Living Without A Microwave



www.smecc.org

Contrary to what the title of this post suggests, we do have a microwave. 


It's a boat.


And therefore, it lives in the attic. 


Our last apartment seriously lacked counter space and our giant retro microwave just didn't make the cut when it came to counter real estate. Our current apartment has a little more counter space (like an extra couple of feet on the three feet we had in our last kitchen) but using that space for our knife block, go-to spices and drying rack makes more sense considering how we use our kitchen. 


I cook most of our meals from scratch and having space to spread out as I put everything together is a requirement. Having our meals reheated in an instant, as it turns out, is not. 


It just means that we have to wait 15 minutes or so to re-heat leftovers in the oven or on the stovetop and that 15 minutes is usually well spent tidying the rest of the kitchen or talking about our day anyway. We store leftovers in oven safe containers so they can be popped right in the oven and take care to cover foods that may be prone to drying out otherwise. 


I can't think of the last time I missed Mr. Microwave, and I certainly don't miss the radiation debate surrounding his kind. And to think that in the beginning it seemed like going without him would be such a big inconvenience. Funny what we get used too.


What kitchen gadget could you live without? What ones are you ardently committed to?


You can take my dusty beast of a microwave but don't get between me and my Magic Bullet. Seriously, I love that thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment